Have high blood pressure. Want to avoid medication. Will breathing exercises help?

I was shocked to be diagnosed with hbp 160/90 mid Feb [ambulatory monitor] since when have had all tests and all OK. I'm 70 yr old active healthy female, don't smoke or drink too much and not overweight.BMI is 23. Since Feb have cut out salt, taken up fast walking 6 days on 7 and am drinking 1/2pt beetroot juice daily. Eat a healthy diet cooked from scratch. Have to see dr in 3 weeks and she wants me on medication. i would prefer to avoid medication and sort myself out. Realistically with what I am doing so far have I any chance of avoiding medication, I absolutely hate the idea. How much can I drop in 3 weeks and would breathing exercises help?
Asked On : Thu, 25 Apr 2013