Have herniated disc, difficulty walking, spasms. Taking Baclofen and Gabapentin. Weakness, speech affected. Normal?

My father had a herniated disc at c5-c6. About 3weeks later he began having difficulty walking and incredible spasms. He was started on baclofen and gabapentin. 5 months later is walking is down to smaller steps incredible weakness. He has had several falls because of the drugs. We have stopped them all. He is wlking a little better, but not normal. He is now using a walker. Is this normal? His speech is effected when he is fatigued or taking medication for the spasms. His surgery was a redo of the same from one year prior. He has had many scans of is cervical spine. No one will do a complete spine mri. Why is his walking so bad?
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013