Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
Not all protruded discs that are seen on MRI
needs surgical decompression. Even moderate amount of spinal canal
stenosis can be managed conservatively.
The initial management of your problem will be as follows -
* avoid lifting heavy weights
* avoid forward bending activities
* Use a lumbosacral back support
* Intermittent pelvic traction
* Maintain optimum body weight,if you are obese
to strengthen your back muscles. Physiotherapy has to be done only after the acute pain has subsided.
* Judicious use of analgesics and muscle relaxants.
If all these measures fail to provide you relief, then surgical decompression may be an option.
Hope this information is helpful. Good day