Have hallux rigidus. When should I have the chilectomy surgery?

I have hallux rigidus . I am 41 and want to keep my active lifestyle. Tennis, 3 kids, exercise...I have been to a podiatrist and two orthopedic surgeons ...orthos say wait until it is unbearable to have the chilectomy surgery or fusion...I want surgery to see if it will help and if I could salvage the joint and any other important tendons..etc...but I feel like I am missing something the way that the doctors act? Which doctor do I go with for surgery? Podiatrist or Ortho? I have had a ton of xrays but no mri ...should I request that to see how much damage I have? Help???
Asked On : Sun, 3 Feb 2013