Have had minor chest pains. Why do I feel it pump? Is that normal?

i have had minor chest pains for the last 4 months, and have seen a doctor, but have only been told to monitor it to see if it gets worse. i have been connected to the heart monitor - ekg , or w/e its called, and everything seemed to come back normal. every now and then, i get chest pains that are on the left side around my heart area, and every 1/10 or so out of these times the pain will be on the right side instead. i can also hear my heart pump almost all the time - and this has only been the case since around 9 months ago. i remember in 8th grade when the gym teacher told us all to try and find our heart beat, and that some of us might barely be able to make it out by putting our hand to our heart area of the chest. i tried it, and like the teacher said, was just barely able to make it out. now, i can actually see my heart pulsing, let alone feel it when i put my hand to my chest. for the past 10-15 minutes, i have had minor chest pains that seem to come with each pump of the heart - this kind of pulsing pain has occurred only once or twice before.
Asked On : Sat, 25 Aug 2012