Have had asthma. Getting thick and black mucus. Chances of COPD or pulmonary edema?

I am a 21 yr old male, I ve had asthma as a child and bretahing through my nose troubles as a child as well. I have been experiencing lots of mucous production , which when I cough up is sometimes very thick and foal smelling (dark in colour), but otherwise always froth-like. Sometimes I also cough up little hard chunks that feel like powder or cheesy inthe center that smell identicle to feces. Some insight would be helpful as past doctors have put me thru unsuccessful tests and diagnosis ssuch as post-nasal drip and just yesterday an upper GI barium test...because I mention slight difficulty swallowing. I am a nursing student and giving my symptoms, I am assuming something is causing irriation in my lungs, possibly re-occuring asthma symptoms , but I want to know if I should be worried about other problems such as COPD , pulmonary edema . etc. Thank you
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013