Have gout in ankles. Family history of gout. Prescribed allopurinol. Want help

I ve just survived my first battle with Gout , starting in my right ankle, and then moving to my left ankle...God forbid I m unfortunate enough to get it again. There is a family history of it, my late father and one brother. My doctor has just given me a req for blood work to determine if my Uric acid level is now low enough to start me on Allopurinol .......This whole painful episode lasted approximately 2+ months, with numerous trips to the doctors........Does it get better from here. I have said to my husband several times that the pain was so intense that I wished I was dead.....I am a 58 year old female with a fairly high threshold for pain, but not with the gout....the threshold went right out the window!!!!! Would appreciate your comments/advice/help....Patricia Ward
Asked On : Sun, 10 Feb 2013