Have got hives and red spots on legs, bad itching. Benadryl helpful?

I have gotten hives and red spots on my legs for two days accompanied by a wicked itch . Today, the third day, the itch began again but spread from my legs to my stomach and arms. Is this an allergic reaction to mucinex dm that I recently started taking for a cough I have? The itch begins in the morning a few minutes after I wake up. I took the mucinex yesterday at 9 a.m. And it is a 12 hour pill, I didn t take it again before bed last night so why would it come back even worse this morning? I take Benadryl and the itching and hives and redness subside.
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013