Have family history hypothyroidism, experiencing strange heart. What to do?

I am a 38 yr old woman. All of the 10 women in my family are affected by hypothyroidism. In recent years, I have been experiencing a very strange heart beat on occasion. It's when I am completely relaxed which scares me even more. All of a sudden, my heart slows but the 'beat' is very strong, like my heart is going to jump out of my chest. It's not painful, although the pressure is very uncomfortable. Any ideas I can take to my doc?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013