Have excessive bleeding. Given progesterone injection. What is going on?

My menstrual cycle is 26 days.i am devi of 38yrs old.i had my periods on January next cycle started on Feb 13th and still bleeding not much.march 19th it started severely and i met my doctor.she scanned and said some cost and gave a progesterone injection to stop bleeding and norethisterone 5mg to be taken for 30 days 2 tab 2 times a day.can you give me rreasons for this.she said i have lot of blood clots outside.i dont get it anything serious please help me.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Mar 2013