Have difficulty breathing, phlegm, have COPD, CHF, carotid artery disease, relief vicks inhaler, senile

My mother is 82 with severe copd, chf & carotid artery disease with the right 100% blocked and the left 50% blocked. Last night she was having a more difficult time breathing than usual, complained of more phlegm and felt like she might choke. She has been using a Vicks inhaler which seems to help some, but I was wondering, short of taking her to the ER, if there is anything else I could do to help her breathe easier? We have been told that her time is limited and my concern is her comfort.
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013