Have diabetes. Swollen ankle and foot after stubbing toe, redness. What do I do?

My husband is a diabetic and stubbed his toe . The first night only the toe was dark purple. the second night his entire foot and ankle was swollen, the third night redness started appearing on the top of the foot and of course the extreme welling. He went to emergancy room they took an xray and the xray showed no broken bones. the dr said its probably because of the sweilling but was sure it was broken. Now here we are night five and the redness is bright to dark red on the top of the entire foot and the swelling in really bad. What do we do?
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012