Have dark spots on penis. Diagnosed pigmentation. Hyper pigmentation, correction?

I seem to have developed two dark spots on the skin of the shaft of penis. I consulted my general practitioner for an STD test and he diagnosed the dark spots as a pigmentation of the skin. My first question is, is this condition the same thing as hyper pigmentation? I was also wondering what methods I can take to correct this issue. Lastly, how can I confirm the diagnosis of this condition as he is not a dermatologist but did not refer me to one.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013