Have cut on lip. Was hit on face. Inside of cut is white. Infection?

I got punched in the face and my tooth cut my lip..the tooth went through, but barely. the inside cut is about the size of my tooth while the outside is a scab that s a bout half of a pea sized or smaller..the inside cut is turning white and I don t know if I need stitches..salt water isn t burning it, and my friend says it will heal on its own...I just don t want an infection!
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Dear Caliborn
if its a minor cut it will definitely heal on its own .Mucosal injuries do become white and are very unlikely to get infected .What I would still recommend that kindly visit a surgeon and let him have a look to decide if you need a stitch or two or nothing is required .that assessment can be done only on personal examination of the wound
I hope I have answered all your doubts
Feel free to post again if you have any further queries
God Bless