Have cracked heel, bone spur growing from crack along with a torn Achilles.

I have been told that I have a cracked heel. In addition to that the doctor has found a bone spur growing from that crack along with a torn Achilles ( which is now half way up the back of my leg). I was put in a boot and told to stay off my feet. I don t understand how the boot is going to help. As a matter of fact, my knee hurts terribly when I stand. The doctor has said that surgery is a possible remedy, but recovery time could take a year or so.
Asked On : Sat, 26 Oct 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

Based on the information provided, I suspect that the tear in the Achilles tendon could be a partial one. So, your doctor might have advised a boot for the condition. A boot will immobilize the injured area so as to provide a favourable environment for the healing process to happen.

Generally, it may take from 6-8 weeks of immobilization before the boot is taken off and you will be allowed to bear weight on the leg in a graded increasing manner.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day

©2014 Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.