Have cold sore. Have allergies. Is it dermatitis or herpes? How to confirm?

I am told that there is no definitive test for Herpes virus 1. I have had multiple blood tests over the years that have returned negative results. I have never been swabbed or cultures taken as there was not the obvious postules and lesions. However, I have had allergic reactions since childhood that prompted me to take such tests in the first place, the first being after a pine wreath was placed over my bed and perhaps debris accumulated on my pillow. My lip swelled up tremendously.. I visited an allergy Dr. and was diagnosed to have severe allergies to spider bites, cat hair, grass and a bunch of other stuff, not food related that I can t remember now.. Every year or so, around a stressful event, funeral, mental breakdown etc.. I will usually get sick with a head cold/ nasal cold, and the runny nose will redden but never develop a sore like the pictures on web demonstrate. At 42. In the last two days, I have developed a cold sore and the Dr. visually confirms that it is most likely Herpes. Although there was no itching or pain and the area on the lower lip inflamed after shaving. My lymph nodes under the chin are swollen as well. I am aware of contact dermatitis . Is there a possibility that it is not Herpes? greater than 1%.
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013