Have cold, blockage in throat, phlegm formation. On codinex, exputex. What can be done?

HI I wonder if you can help. We have got the colds that are going around over the Christmas period. My husband has the following symptoms for nearly two weeks. He needs to clear his throat a lot to try and get up phlegm . When he coughs he cant get this up and feels like there is an airway restriction, something blocking his throat and he feels like he is going to choke. He has been to his doctor and got the following antibiotics clorom XL and now Suprax and a cough bottle exputex and now Codinex. He is getting no relief from any of this and it seems to be worse at night time. It is quite frightening when you wake up and cant catch your breath and feel like you are choking. It feels like his throat is closing in, We have also tried honey with lemon hot drinks, inhaling Eucalyptus in a basin of hot water to try and break down it down. He asked his doctor about maybe an inhaler just to relieve this congestion at night time but he said he does not feel he needs it. If you could recommend anything at all just to get the phlegm up it would be great. This is really getting my husband down, we are not sleeping at night as he is afraid he will get a coughing fit and now be able to breathe. Thanks Linda
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013