Have chronic anaemia, blood transfusions weekly, nearing transfusion have swollen feet, leg pain. Cause?

I have chronic anemia. My hemoglobin is usually around a 7.2 and 6.5; I am treated with blood transfusions on a 3 week basis. I have been noticing that near the time I am due for a transfusion, my feet begin to swell and I have pain in my right leg on the tibia. I do work a desk job and have been trying to move around more, the pain is relieved a bit by movement. Can a low hemoglobin cause swelling of the foot and lower leg?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013