Have chondromalasia. What exercises can be done at home to strengthen knee muscles?

I have had chondromalasia for many many years, and have had to give up a lot of sports as a result. I am now 57 years old and would just like to have painfree knees, so that I can walk as exercise. I would like to start cycling again, and would like to know if there are any effective exercises that I can EASILY do in my living room to strengthen the muscles around the knee? I hate exercises and never carry through with them, but if given something easy to do in front of TV I will try to persevere this time. Is the thought of cycling again a stupid one, or is cycling on a low-resistance gear going to be OK for me, once I have my knees feeling better and stronger? Regards, Debbie.
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query
Quadriceps strenthening exercises is required for chondromalacia to strengthen the muscles and give good support to knee. You can do this exercise without any discomfort while watching the telivision. For this simply straight your leg in air without bending your knees and hold this in air for about 10 sec.
Cycling is also good exercises for knee so continue this. You can also start swimming. It is also good for knees.
Hope this Will helps you.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Madhusudan's  Response
cycling itself is good exercise for the knees as you said start with low resistance gears .
straight leg raising without bending the knees and holding such that the thigh is in air for atleast 5-10 second .This very good Quadriceps strenthening excercise which you can do in front of the television this for 10 times in each hour as much as possible in day