Have canker sore inside lip and hole in gums where tooth was extracted. Reason?

I had two teeth extractions this past Wednesday. I developed a canker sore on the inside of my upper lip . The dentist said it was caused by the Novocain. Right above where I had my tooth extracted there is a hole on my gums. He had to use several equipments to try to remove the root. My question is, can a canker sore cause a hole on your gums? The hole is pretty deep and it s not white like the canker sore right above it. Could it be from the sore? What caused the hole if not? And will it close?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013