Have burning, irritation and itching while urination. Had UTI and took antibiotics. What to do?

Ok i have a lot going on...! I've been having a lot of irritation lately. Burning when I pee and wipe all the way up to my rear, and itching. I went to my gynocologist and she said I had a UTI, I took the antibiotics and waited for the symptoms to go away. Well they never went away, and I'm still suffering! I was going to make another appointment but then I had started my period, and during I'm still in all this pain. My period ended two days ago, and now today my stomach starts cramping, my boobs hurt, I'm extremely tired, and I'm experiencing a light pink smelly discharge when I wipe. But the thing that scared me the most were the medium pink clusters of tissue in the toilet after I went pee a few minutes ago! I didn't save it like some people have been saying, but I did take a picture of it, help?!?
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

The first thing you need to know is that antibiotics have a specific response in different people. When some individuals can be resistant to a certain antibiotic, others could greatly benefit from it.

This is why you will have to request your doctor to conduct a urine culture examination. This investigation will confirm the presence of an infection, and provide information on the infection-causing organism. Once this is done, the examiners will test the response of a number of antibiotics to the infection-causing organism.

The response will be recorded and the most suitable antibiotic can be chosen to treat you, this will ensure a speedy recovery, and you should notice an improvement within 24-48 hours.

The pink discharge is normally seen in the early days of a period, or in case of an infection. As you have already finished your period, this pink discharge is most probably because of the infection that you have. The clumps seen in your urine are also signs of an infection.

In my opinion the best option right now would be to visit your doctor, and get a urine culture. You should start recovering soon after the appropriate antibiotic is initiated. If that is not the case, do write back to me and you can attach those images you have taken as well. We should certainly be able to find a solution to your problem.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.