Have burgers disease, quit smoking, on blood thinners, cholesterol tablets. Told can take canabis puff for pain. Safe?

My son has recently found out he has Burgers desease and has had major surgery in January 2013. He has quit smoking and is on blood thinners and colestrol tablets. He has spoken to his doctor, and asked him if the occassional puff (puffs) of canabis taken for the pain he gets some days would be alright. His drs has told him yes but in the research I have done so far - all says no smoking of any kind. He is not mixing it with tobacco will it increase the chance of another blockage?
Asked On : Wed, 17 Apr 2013