Have bump on thumb cuticle, swollen, hurts, guess bacteria infected. How to get rid off it?

I have a bump on my thumb cuticle. It doesn t bleed any liquid but it s quite thick and swollen. It is hard and hurts when I press it. It began years ago and hasn t metastasized but hasn t disappeared either. I got it I think when I opened up my cuticle because of too much finger nail varnish and when the cuticle healed itself, there was bacteria that got inside the cuticle and sealed up. I ve been trying to open it up so that the bacteria could come out but it s like a cycle. I open it up when it s dry and crackly, the bump thins a wee bit and then it swells back up and it s conditioned. It s gross really. What is this? It s not paronychia .... How do I get rid of it? It makes my thumb look unattractive. It is constantly dry and peel-y.
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013