Have bump on hip bone. Painful to lift foot. Have diabetes. Cause and cure?

My husband has all of a sudden this week developed a large bump out the side of his left hip bone sort of to the back side of of his hip about the size of a fist and it is very painful for him to lift his foot off the floor or to bear weight on it .He is 56 years old and has diabetes that is very controlled since he was nine years old .Do you think a bone could just get out of place without a fall or anything all of a sudden?
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013