Have breathlessness, chest pain on exercise. Have type 2 diabetes, quit smoking. Worry?

For the last week, with the minimum of exercise I get short of breath and chest pain. I walk my dog 4 times a day and have been doing for years suddenly I have to stop after a block to rest. Weird.
I am 58, male, diabetic type 2, 205 lbs, quit smoking 5 yrs ago ?
This is getting worse, less effort to get winded. Should I be worried ?
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Yes,definitely these symptoms can not be ignored and are a cause of concern and worry.Type 2 diabetes is generally ignored in early stages and makes a person callous in its approach towards controlling it.
Uncontrolled diabetes affects almost all the organs of body including heart,nerves.kidney.blood vessels,eyes etc.
Diabetes dramatically increases the risk of various cardiovascular problems like chest pain ( angina ),heart attack,high blood pressure,narrowing of arteries due to fat deposition called as atherosclerosis.
The risk of death by heart disease is 2 to 4 times higher for people with diabetes than people without diabetes.
You must consult a cardiologist as early as possible and get managed properly.
Make sure to control your blood sugar,your blood pressure and blood lipids meticulously.
General & Family Physician Dr. Prabhakar 's  Response
As your diabetic patient and getting chest pain and shortness of breath, it will better to for ECG and Thread mill test. If two test found negative then is the angiogram.. As your in high risk category ( diabetic and past H/O Smoking) it will be wise to consult physician and get investigated for chest pain. You didnt mention about your glycemic control, check for fasting and post prandial blood sugar done. once in three months ask for glycogenated haemoglobin which indicates your past 3 months glycemic control..

Gud luck..