Have bloated feeling and sharp pains. Am 37 weeks pregnant. Early labor?

I am almost 37 weeks pregnant and I have been feeling like I m about to start my period with a very bloated feeling espessially at night. Sometimes I get sharp pains that are random and only last a second and I am 1/2 a cm dialated already. Is this a sign that I am going into labor? I have not lost my mucus plug yet that I am aware of
Asked On : Fri, 8 Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Thank you for your query.
Discomfort and pelvic pain are common as labour approaches.
True labour pains would be associated with palpable hardening of the uterus, alongwith pains that radiate to the groin and the back.
Also, you would have mucoid discharge or leaking or blood tinged discharge.
If this is your first pregnancy, and you cannot be sure about true labour pains, you would do well to have a check up.
Better safe than sorry !