Have bipolar disorder. Stopped breathing after drinking alcohol, foaming at mouth. Was the foam a sign of death?

My son is 32 years old and Bi-polar. He went on a drinking binge tand some how he made it home. I looked one more time out window and he was in car. I had to shake him to get him to breath. I called 911 and ambulance came quickly. The person on the phone was helpful and I had to tell her when he would take another breath. I would shake him to make him breath. He had foam all over his mouth and beard. He smelled like death. Until you have smelt it, it hard to describe. He started to rattle. His alcohol was 430. Was the foam a sign of death? I have delt with this since he was around puberty . The doctor has changed his medicine and with some difficult issues he began drinking. I am the only one who will let him live with me. I had his father go with him. No one understands he can t live alone. I didn t go to hospital and discussed with the doctor in ICU abd his doctor about being there. They thought I should not go there, after they stabilized in, and thought his Dad should see the realty of his illness . He is starting to communicate with his son more. With his condition, he has few friends. Was the foam a sign of death. I moved quickly and thank God he survived. Than you for your advice.
Asked On : Fri, 9 Nov 2012