Have been with psychiatric. Have been prescribed gabapentin. If administered less dosage acting abnormal. Why?

I am a grief counselor and taking care of a 50 year old female who has spent the past two weeks in a psychiatric
unit and released several days ago. One of the medications prescribed is gabapentin with a daily dosage of 2400 mg
My question is this: While in the unit on a lesser dosage she was not acting abnormally (seeing people who weren't there, imagining flying objects and almost incoherent at times). The dosage was increased 50% on release from the unit. Your comment?
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013