Have been itching, blood vessels have burst, purpura formed, have sneezing and congestion. Explain?

I have been itchy at night primarily (intense) and just above my knee blood vessels have burst causing a painful bruise and purpura has formed around the site. The skin is not broken, the purpura is not raised. I have had a cold/ flu for 10 days now with sneezing and morning congestion the main complaint. I am on no other medication at present (weaned off 2+ weeks ago) just Tylenol/ibuprofen for cold/flu management. Any idea what the blood vessels/purpura is all about?
Asked On : Mon, 7 Jan 2013