Have astigmatism. Unable to see short distance using new contacts but was fine earlier. Reason?

Hi I have astigmatism . I have used hard contact lenses for more than 20 years. One of my contact lenses broke 6 weeks ago. I went to get eye examination one day after my contact lens broke. I got new pair but I cant see for short distance by using the new pair. when I told the doctor ater 10 days of using them he said my vision changed because I am getting old and he cant correct the contact lenses to make me able to see short and long distance at the same time even thogh I was seeing well by the old pair. Is what the doctor said correct i,e. my vision changed between one night and one day?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013