Have advanced cirrhosis in liver because of excessive drinking. Have fluid drain from abdomen. Why is that?

My father has been diagnosed with advanced cirrhosis of the liver from drinking too much. He just got out of the hospital today and is in rehab to build up strength and mobility before we send him to a rehab facility for quitting drinking. I was wondering a couple of things. First is that he had fluid drained from his abdomen twice while in the hospital. First time they got 4 liters and second time (yesterday) they got 6 liters...will this keep happening? What is causing it and might it get better? I worry because it is building up so quickly. I also was wondering what foods are good for him to eat now and what foods should he avoid? I have read meat isn't good...is this true? Are nuts okay? Sorry for all the questions. I am very worried about him.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013