Have abnormal bleeding for several days with red to black discharge, clots. Advised provera. Safe medicine?

I am 31 years old and i have problem of abnormal bleeding since last 3 month. since 2 and half months i have non stop bleeding (periods) initially i had some black discharge and at times small clots and red bleeding but had to use at least one pad daily. But since last one week the bleeding has increased and the size of clots is much bigger now. Daily i have to use 3 to 4 pads completely soaked. After few tests my doctor has suggested me to take medicine provera 10 mg or 14 days. Could you please suggest me if I should go ahead with this medicine as i have read that this medicine has a lot of side effects and why i have this problem of non stop bleeding?
Asked On : Mon, 8 Apr 2013