Have abdominal swelling. Had laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair surgery. Related?

My husband had bilateral labrascopic inguinal hernia repair surgery two days ago performed by a physician with an excellent reputation for doing these surgeries in a city two and a half hour s drive from our home so the doctor is for all intents and purposes not available for help. He would probably say go to the local Emergency Room. My husband has developed quite severe abdominal swelling from below his breasts to just above the hernia surgery area. There is no swelling of the groin area or the scrotum or penis . This swelling is causing him much discomfort. What could be causing this, is this dangerous, should we seek help.
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013