Have a small cut on the back of foot. Painful, itchy, slight numbness, hard. Infection?

Two nights ago I got a small cut or bug bite (I don t remember or know how I got it) on the back of my foot . It stung pretty badly, but it didn t bother me very much. The next morning I woke up to it very swollen and painful and itchy when rubbed on anything. It became so bad that I was limping that day, and couldn t wear shoes or move my foot without pain. This morning, when I woke up my foot was slightly numb and hard to feel, but now the swelling is down but itches very badly when touched. Do I need antibiotics , and is this an infection? Or just a bug bite? Thankyou.
Asked On : Sun, 2 Dec 2012
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
This would appear to be an insect bite but if the swelling has gone down then it is unlikely to be infected. So you do not need antibiotics.
I would suggest applying calamine lotion or a similar zinc oxide-based lotion. This will have a soothing effect and reduce the itching.
Dr K A Pottinger,
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Usually in bug bite there is no cut, only allergic swelling.
Due to cut there might be having some infection.
Now as swelling is subsiding and pain is less, there is no necessity of having antibiotic medicines.
Apply antibiotic cream locally.
Ok and take care.