Have a hard and white bone like thing in the gum. Had tooth extracted. What can it be?

I got a lower left tooth extracted 5 days ago. Everything has been fine but I have notice since the day of extraction that part of my gum is pushed outward toward my cheek and lip. When I look further you can see something hard and white pushing it out. I don't know if it is a bone or part of tooth that didn't come out. I know the dentist broke my tooth in half when pulling it but afterwards seeing the tooth it looked as if everything was there. Just wondering if it will heal on its own or if I need to go back to get it checked out.
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013