Have a fracture, numbness and pain in thumb and index finger. Is it serious?

I had a fall on February 25,2013 and hurt my hand. I m not sure how I landed on it but put it out to break my fall. Had an xray 3 hrs after injury and it was negative for any fracture . I have pain in my thumb into a V pattern that goes up into my index finger and across mt wrist . Pain has decreased some since but does return and aches at the bottom of my thumb and over to the long bone in my hand that connect my index finger. I have a burning sensation in that area as well. I can move it with little to no discomfort but again at times it will really be painful. My grasp is very weak and uncomfortable. The injury happpened at work so they requested I see a physiotherapist to do a Functional ability assesment and the therapist feels that I could have a possible scaphoid fracture and has suggested I go back for an xray ten days from the injury date. Just wondering what you opinion is on this with me having little pain with movement but at times more severe and almost also a dull ache at rest. In the evening the pain is worse and does require ice. There is still slight swelling on the under side and side of my thumb and in the separation area between thumb and index finger. I am working again and use my hands a great deal in work as a support worker for individual that are physically disabled and fully dependent. I did notice an increase in pain after my first and only shift back at work yesterday. Would you agree that this could be a scaphoid fracture or could it only be a sprain . I was not given any treatment, brace, support or anything.
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013