Have a feeling of rapid heartbeat under the rib cage and heart. No medication till now. What could be it?

Sometimes I get what feels like a rapid heartbeat to the left of the sternum (under the heart), beneath or under the ribcage. It is very rapid and only lasts a few seconds, but it concerns me. I do not think it is my heart, because it usually happens in calm situations, so my heartbeat should be half that fast or less. It happens many times when I lean back in my chair in class, putting pressure on my back. I have been smoking for about 5 years so I'm worried it could be something bad, please help! I'm otherwise healthy, 21, skinny, have been exercising for about 2 months
Asked On : Sun, 7 Apr 2013