Have a bump and its slightly painful. What are the findings? Concerned?

i have a bump on the side of my adams apple and its slightly painful (probably due to me fucking with it a bit today) and for the last few days ive had an extremely sore throat but no other symptoms what so ever relating to a flu or cold that i can think of. cancer runs through my immediate family a lot, and the rest.
paranoid and cant sleep, i also have some mental disabilities so have been unable to work for the past 15 months.
still in good shape but my health has fallen a lot since then, i know cant get a definate answer but i want some idea if a lump on or next to adams apple is something else before i jump out a window.
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013