Have PCOD. Taken FSH injection. Will laparoscopy help me conceive?

hello Doctor, I am XXXX(24 yrs old, height 5.2 , weight 59 kgs). I have diagnosed with PCOD , as per doctor s prescription , I have been taking, Benforce - M (daily 1),folvite since 4 months. 1 cycle: ovulated but not conceived( I have taken progynova,barkeit,M2 tone, tamoxifen tablets) 2 Cycle: Egg was not release and follicles are also very small size so Doctor prescribed me siphene 200 mg ( I have taken progynova,barkeit,M2 tone, tamoxifen,siphene 100 mg tablets) 3 cycle: Doctor suggested me to take FSH-150 injections for three days No use with these injections too. Still small follicles and siphene dose got increased to 250 mg.( I have taken progynova,barkeet,M2 tone, tamoxifen,siphene 200 mg tablets) 4 cycle: I was undergone FSH, AMH tests. FSH was normal but AMH results were 13.3. So Doctor told me that I have severe PCOD. she told me that she would do laparoscopy(drillig) in next month. in this cycle day 5,6,7 I have taken FSH injections 225 units per day I am very much worried about this. will laparoscopy would help me to get concieve? Pls let me know whether I am going in a corrcet diagnosis or not. thanks in advance
Asked On : Fri, 21 Sep 2012
Hi there,
Welcome to HCM,

PCOS makes it difficult to conceive naturally. And it must be quite frustrating to undergo 3 cycles of ovulation induction and follicular monitoring with no result.

But I would like you to address the cause that is PCOS, the main treatment for which is diet and exercise . A weight loss of 5-7 kilos in a PCOS patient can reverse the hormonal changes and definitely increase the chances of conception.

Along with that Metformin (Glucophage) is a drug proven to help with PCOS. You could consider diet, exercise and metformin atleast 1000 mg per day for 3 months and see the results before undergoing laparoscopic surgery.

Ovarian drilling by laparoscopy is always an option, but any surgery has a risk and with ovarian drilling if excessive drilling done it can damage the ovaries and adhesion in the abdomen can cause further problems.

I would advise you to try conservative management and if not successful consider IVF (test tube Baby ) rather than laparoscopy.

Hope this helps.