Have Mirena coil inserted. Brown discharge in vagina. Cramping, abdominal pain. What is going on?

i had an IUD (Mariana) inserted yesterday, i went to check for the string tonight and found that i had a lot of dark red, and brown pasty (dryish) type stuff inside my vagina .. the obgyn that inserted it told me i would have some spotting, which i have but hasn t started letting off yet. i have the slight cramping and some slight pain on my right lower abdomen near my right hip. i have never had any kind of yeast infections before so im extremely concerned. the stuff isn t coming out on its own, i didn t even realize it was there till i went to check the string, what is going on?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Jan 2013