Have IM rod in ankle, swollen and painful are. Any non surgical therapy?

Hi Doctor, I am looking for a non surgical solution or management for IM rod problem for my mother who is 59 yrs old. She had ankle surgery in 2000 and had IM rod. The injured ankle bone is healed but the area is swollen and painful. Her Ortho surgeon suggested for removal of rod. My mother has been diagnosed with high BP , thyroid and backbone compression. She is not ready for another surgery to remove the IM rods. Could you please guide us with any non surgical/ management therapies? From: Swapna
Asked On : Wed, 12 Sep 2012