Have IBS. Done flexible sigmoidoscopy. Discomfort and pressure at base of ribs. Any ideas?

Hi, I have been having digestive issues since october, staring with change in bowel habit. I was diagnosed with IBS some 7 years ago, which I control fairly successfully with certain food elimination, but suddenly things started to go amiss,at first my GP put me on Movicol to see if it was down to a natural blockage. That did not work, I was then sent for a Flexible Sigmoidoscopy , the Bowel Cleanse did help me and I felt somewhat better for a couple of weeks, the procedure came back clear. I also developed right side discomfort and a feeling of pressure at the base of my ribs and round to my lower back (I do have back issues too). My bowel problems returned. Today I saw a consultant in the Colorectal dept, old school..... he said he could go down the route of Barium Meal full colonoscopy but he thought it could be because I have a step between my ribs and the base two ribs and thinks it could be nerve problems and inflammation. I have googled and cannot actually find anything on this, He gave me a steroid shot, I have often thought steroids are used as a bit of a cop out as they do seem to get rid of pains of all sorts. Any ideas?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Feb 2013