Has painful lump on breast. Is it cancer?

My son is 16 and he has a painful enlargement of his left breast for the last 6 months. Could it be cancer?
Asked On : Tue, 5 Feb 2013
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
Painful enlargement of male breast do occur around puberty and is called as mastitis.I would suggest you to consult a physician who may able to examine and may advice you FNAC to differentiate between mastitis and cancer.Physician may prescribe drug to your son for treatment of mastitis.
Oncologist, Surgical Dr. Rohan Khandelwal's  Response
Dear Sir/ Ma'am,

Thank you for asking your query. The condition which you are describing is known as gynecomastia (enlargement of the male breast) and it is common in that age group. Almost 50-60% boys during their puberty develop this condition and it subsides over a few months.
If it does not reduce in size or causes him a lot of problem, please consult a surgeon.. They might perform some blood tests (LH, testosterone levels and thyroid tests) on him.

Hope he gets well soon.

General & Family Physician Dr. Nsah Bernard's  Response
Dec 2012

Thank you for posting your query

Let me start by presenting generally the various conditions that could point out as cause for your son's painful lump of his left breast. Normally in order to give a proper guess of what your son can have will require a physical examination and other imagery and laboratory studies (including a biopsy)
The different most probably causes (given your son's age and according to probability of occurrence for him), we have:
- Chronic infection/mastitis (which was not treated at the onset hence has become a chronic inflammation). If the case, then appropriate antibiotics probably after analysis of the biopsy and culture.
- Benign mass such as cyst, fibroadenoma etc
- inflammatory breast cancer (less likely because of his age, but very possible)
- Gynecomastia: is possible but less likely due to the fact that it is painful. Not usually painful.
Other causes will need to be determined after biopsy and imagery (CT scan, mammography or MRI etc).
You can pay a visit to an oncologist or cancer specialist or pediatrician for review.
Hope this helps

Dear Sir/ Ma'am,

Hope he gets well soon.