Has pain in throat. Hurts while swallowing and talking. Thyroid test negative. Reason?

My son is 32 years old and is complaining of pain in his throat similar to muscle ache or bruise below the laryngeal prominence...he said that is unlike a sore throat, but hurts when he swallows and even when he talks...although not when he is just still...not a constant pain like a sore throat or strep. He had blood tests at the university clinic for thyroid and they were negative...are you able to tell me what this could be and what he should do..?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013