Has diabetes controlled by insulin. Why did she vomit and have diarrhea after fish and rice?

My 67 year old mother has diabetes that she controls with insulin . Today she took her morning insulin but didn t eat until over an hour afterward. She ate broiled fish and brown rice, and within 20 minutes had vomiting & diarrhea and a swooshing sound in her head. She became very cold w chills (temperature 96-96.7 over the last 30 minutes) and her blood sugar is reading 280. What is she experiencing? Should I take her to an emergency room?
Asked On : Sat, 11 Aug 2012