Has celiac disease, diagnosed COPD, coughing up blood. Had MRI. Suggest?

What is the connection between your lungs and liver? My mother suffers from celiac disease , she was also recently diagnosed with COPD . She has had bouts of phnemonia over the years. One which landed her in the hospital on life support for almost 4 weeks. She recently started choughing up large amounts of blood . She has had multiple blood and urine tests and on Monday will have an MRI . But her recent bllod results indicates her lungs are fine but it may be her liver. So what could be the cause ? And why if it is her liver , would she be coughingup blood?
Asked On : Tue, 5 Mar 2013
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Most liver conditions are not associated with coughing up of blood, as there is no link whatsoever. The only possibilities could be a secondary condition caused due to a primary liver abnormality.

Like for example an alcoholic or non-alcoholic liver disease with secondary bronchial and/or tracheal varices that could be causing the hemoptysis (coughing of blood). An endoscopy will greatly help in visualizing and finding the cause of the blood.

Another possibility to consider is a gastrointestinal (GIT) bleed, which can be associated with hematemesis (vomiting of blood). A few of the most common conditions associated with this are: peptic ulcers, varices, gastritis, hepatitis, viral hemorrhagic fevers, tumors, Mallory-Weiss syndrome, poisoning, parasite infections, etc.

A few other conditions that could be causing hemoptysis are: aspiration pneumonia, tuberculosis, sarcoidosis, Goodpasture's syndrome, pulmonary embolism, bronchiectasis, etc.

A few other conditions like blood coagulation disorders, mitral stenosis of the heart, etc. should all be ruled out if no other lung or GIT cause is found.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Prasad Akole's  Response
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at HCM!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

If she has liver dysfunction from any cause, she may have developed a deranged coagulation (blood not clotting properly), which is the function of the liver.
In her case, with the deranged clotting status and diseased lungs, she could easily bleed from any raw area in the diseased lungs (COPD and past pneumonias).
Bleed in the lungs is usually coughed out as hemoptysis.

Coeliac disease may indirectly impact liver function.
So, there are relations.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!