Has been complaining of headache, has cough, runny nose, throat pain. Ibuprofen not much help. Now?

Hi. My 4 year old has been complaining on and off of a headache for two days. He has no fever, but does have a cough and runny nose . He says his ears do not hurt but that his throat hurts a little when he swallows. The pain goes away less than 30 minutes after giving ibuprofen . I ve considered he may be faking because he LOVES medicine, but I m trouble by the way he grabs his head and actually cries. We have an appt to get flu shots tomorrow. Knowing m doctor, she will refer us to several doctors for all kinds of tests. Im not opposed to further testng, but not sure its necessary. how do I know? Any thoughts/advice? Thanks.
Asked On : Sun, 20 Jan 2013