Has Atrial fibrillation. Has Alzheimer. On lasic and high BP tablets. Prognosis?

hi there - my 90 year old 95 lb Mum has a-fib, just drinks 3-120 ml of boost/day - won t eat. So I m guestimating she gets about 300-400 calories/day. She also has alzhimers - the other day for the first time, didn t know who I was - thought I was my sister. She is on lasic and other meds for high blook pressure and the a-fib - in hospital waiting for long-term care bed. What is prognosis?
Asked On : Fri, 18 May 2012
Radiologist 's  Response
May 2014
Thanks for writing.

Alzhiemers patients longevity depends on age of disease onset. How long a person with Alzheimer's will live is highly dependent on the person's age at the onset of the disease as well as what medical problems the person is experiencing in addition to Alzheimer's. Those with multiple medical conditions tend to die sooner than those who have no other physical problems. Individuals with Alzheimer's disease often die of a medical complication such as pneumonia or the flu. However, Alzheimer's is fatal -- if there are no other complications, the person will die when all bodily systems fail because of the disease.

Hope this helps