Hard swelling posterior to the extraction site on the outer aspect of gum post molar extraction. Infection?

I had my upper molar extracted 5 days ago. I had no complications and hardly had to take anything for pain and swelling in the last 2 days....until tonight . Acutely I got a throbbing pain and took some advil settled it slightly but still feel the pain. I now have noticed a hard swelling posterior to the extraction site on the outer aspect of my gum..about the size of a real foul taste in my mouth but truthfully since the surgery it hasn t been the nicest taste in there...bloody medical taste. No pus that I can see. When I run my tongue over the extraction site it seems the same it always has been. I haven t drank from straws, am somewhat healthy, and a non smoker. When I gently press on this swelling it is quite painful. No fever. ?Infection vs ? dry socket. Now I have had dry sockets with my wisdom teeth and they were completely unbearable....this isn t completely unbearable but quite uncomfortable. (my dry sockets were a 10/10 and this is a 5/10 on a pain scale ...and interestingly I have delivered 2 children naturally with no epidural or drugs...haha) I called the surgeon, he told me to load up on the narcotic he prescribed me (which I haven t had to take as of yet post op...the advil was cutting the pain for me previously) and to see him in the morning... Your advice is appreciated .
Asked On : Fri, 7 Dec 2012