Hard object hit hard on knee cap. Swelling down to ankles. Icing will help?

Hello, I am just curious if I might have done more damage think I think. I hit my knee cap ( patella ) on an object earlier extremely hard. I can still walk on it; however there is a lot of swelling all the way down to my ankles. I was just wondering if I should keep icing it or try to get in and see my doctor. I am only concerned because the swelling goes all the way from my knee to my foot and it’s not just in the knee area.
Asked On : Fri, 15 Mar 2013